9.10.06

Langdale

Saturday 07/10/06

Langdale Horseshoe fell race - 14 miles / 5420 feet
186th place - 3hrs 08mins 43secs

The joys of the shift system (earlies this time) left me feeling as rough as a badger's in the run up to Langdale.
Needing to score more than LCT 77 points which didn't look likely, I wrapped up warm and jogged round enjoying the view and company.
Set off very slowly and waited a few times for Mark up to Thunacar Knott.
Had a bit of a burst on the climb to Esk Hause to catch up with Beccy Cash on Bow Fell.
Stopped here and waited for Mark so he could show me his fruity route through the Crinkles.
Waited for an eternity at Bad Step for a group led by Dave Aspden to negotiate it.
Mark then suddenly put the boot in and became a descending gazelle.
I managed a breather on the climb of Blisco and held him off to the finish.
Really enjoyed it, nice to run without the pressure and good to look around at the route a bit more.
As it happened, 77 points would have required a time of 2hrs40mins.
That would have been on if I had gone for it, but then I'd probably be off sick now if I had.
Results