14.8.05

Sedbergh

Sun 14/08/05

Sedbergh HIlls race - 14miles / 1485mtrs
(CFR champs counter)

8th place - 2hrs 30mins 11secs

RHB (section 35A) - The Calf 676mtrs

Either my watch is knacked or the organisers have been a bit over cautious...the FRA calender bills this as 6000ft, which is 1828mts. I only measured 1485mts or 4875ft in old money. Not complaining though.
The reccies paid off, most noticeably at the start where I stole a march on the leaders and got to the shoulder under Winder ahead of the likes of R Jebb and N Sharp. This could of been a bit demoralising but I kept it going as the first few sailed past, keeping the Davies brothers in sight all the way around. The only blunder was coming off the col below Hazelgill where I found the crappy scree and Quentin from Bowland got ahead. This probably cost me getting under 2-30, but am chuffed with it none the less. It was announced at the finish that this will be an English champs race next year. Now there's a dilemma - I was thinking of doing Sierre-Zinal next year, which falls on the same date.
Pictures by Pete Jebb
Whitehaven News article
Results, which are wrong!
2003 results
Sedbergh start - around the side of WinderSedbergh finish - traversing off the Calf